Thursday, November 13, 2014

The Incredible Shrinking Woman.

The Incredible Shrinking Woman.
You're aging right before my eyes.
Cancer has robbed you of a lot, but mostly time.
A fragile little doll made of glass, with fuzzy whisps for hair.
You toddle around the room with your two liter of Coke like a baby with their bottle.
Those clothes you're wearing used to fit you, but now
they hang from you and swallow you whole.
You look so happy laying in your bed surrounded by pillows and teddy bears and other fluffy things.
Your skin is dark and has turned grey, 
but every moment your eyes open, the brightest light from the most beautiful soul pours out and fills the room, 
and we all run and race to try to catch it, if even for a moment.
As you shrink smaller and smaller, your heart grows bigger and bigger, and your rooms grows fuller and fuller of people trying to give to you just a fraction of what you've given them.
From the moment you came into this world, it was forever changed.
Not many people touch the lives of every person they meet...
But you did...
And you still are...
And you always will.
As I watch you while you sleep, 
I think of all of the things I'm losing, like precious time and memories...
And while it doesn't look like there is much for me to be grateful for,
You remind me every day how to appreciate the little things...
Like lottery tickets, 
Stuffed crust pizza, 
Thrift Stores,
Teacups,
and every moment I have left with you.
One day you'll shrink so small that you'll disappear, and I won't be able to see you anymore...
But you'll still be there...
As long as I look and listen.



In memory of 
Sandra Najera Jimenez Lambert.
I love you, I love you, I love you momma.

No comments:

Post a Comment